Summer is definitely well underway and hoping everyone is having fun!
As for the UPAA-W community, the annual picnic was held last Saturday, June 20th at the Zablocki Park/ Philippine Center grounds. It was definitely a blast! Personally, I was pleasantly surprised not only to see a good turnout but more so seeing both “old” and new faces. We even had members and friends drive all the way from Madison and Illinois just to share in the fun. The food was great as it usually is, but the camaraderie was utterly enjoyable!
Many thanks to all those who attended, tagged along their friends and family (not to mention pots and pans and what not…), and brought delectable dishes to share with everyone. Most of all, many thanks to Fe Quevedo, Chairman of our Programs and Events, for organizing the picnic and making sure it was fun for everyone. Special thanks to Volette and Johnny Singson, who despite their absence, had heavenly “ube” and “mocha” cakes delivered to the picnic! To Gerry Ramos for making sure we had the venue “all good to go” before taking off for a vacation, that was awesome. And once again, to all the BODs, officers and members who came to assist and participate, my sincere thanks!
Of course, to all those who missed the activity, rest assured you were in our thoughts and we willingly did the gastronomic indulgence in your behalf! I am hoping you can make it to our upcoming activities.
Here’s a few more updates I wanted to share with everyone.
- We have granted support to 15 recipients via UP’s “Adopt-a-Student” program for UP Visayas students affected by Typhoon Haiyan last semester. We are about ready to deliver another P130,000 for the second semester recipients.
- Our US scholarship application deadline has been extended to July 15th this year to accommodate late applications. Please visit www.upaaw.org/scholarships for more information and application form if you know someone interested in applying.
- Our 1st Feed the Hungry (FTH) at the Cathedral of St John was held last May 3rd jointly with the PCCCF who distributed Harley-Davidson t-shirts and jackets. We figuratively, “fed and clothe” the hungry. The next FTH is scheduled November 15th where we will serve “adobo” and “pancit” Kindly contact Ito Conti at email@example.com if you are interested in either cooking and/or serving for the FTH. As usual, UPAA-W will provide the ingredients and follow Roger Austria’s “to-die-for” adobo recipe.
- UPAA-W set up a booth at the recent FAAWIS picnic where we distributed balloons to kids. Watch out for updates on the upcoming Halloween and Christmas Party (December 12th) being planned by the Events and Programs. Please contact Fe Quevedo at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have initial inquiries about any of these upcoming events.
- The MacArthur Symposium was held last April 28th and was well attended by the veterans community. The event was jointly sponsored by UPAA-W and PCCCF. Cream Pepito-Sommer continues to forge alliances with the veterans and other Milwaukee communities for our outreach activities.
- Heads up for a symposium spearheaded by the Value Our Heritage Committee headed by Dr. Siony Miteria Austria this coming October 24th. We will send updates on the topic as we approach the event date.
- Finally, UPAA-W will again kick-off this year’s Simbang Gabi on December 15th. Lot dela Cruz (Simbang Gabi Committee Chairman) is currently drawing up the plans. Kindly email Lot at lourdesdlc@gmail if you would be interested to assist in any way in the Simbang Gabi.
That’s all for now! We are regularly posting updates at our website at www.upaaw.org please check it out every now and then. Also, if you have any interesting materials or updates to share to the UPAA-W community and friends please don’t hesitate to let us know by emailing us at email@example.com or you can visitwww.upaaw.org/contact-us and drop us a note.
“Let’s continue to be part of the UPAA-W community and together, we will transform lives around us…”
May we all enjoy the rest of summer!